Friday, July 23, 2010

It's HOT!!! And I am still in the mood for pizza...




Okay, so it is hot and humid in the Philly area. It's so hot I probably could have left this pizza outside and it would have baked and had melted cheese.

Although I still am craving pizza, being in the kitchen long enough to make dough, let it rise, and punch it out just sounds too hot and exhausting. But, my mind can only think of using my tomatoes and basil for a fresh sauce. So I compromised, I used Traders Joe's whole wheat Mediterranean Flat Bread for crust. This only needs to go in oven for about 8 minutes to be crisp and perfect. I put it right on the rack while my Vitamix made the "sauce". I tossed cherry tomatoes, wedge of onion, clove of garlic, a few basil leaves, some olive oil, Himalayan Sea Salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning in the Vitamix and used the variable speed until it was just blended but still chunky. I pulled out the crispy flat bread and topped it with a little bit of Daiya Mozzarella and then the tomato mixture. I baked it just long enough for the cheese to start to melt. My second pizza's (not pictured) were in a little longer so the cheese was completely melted. I just was so hungry I couldn't bear the extra minute.

I served these along side a perfect salad that was 75% from my garden. And to begin and finish out Friday night feast was a cool and refreshing organic Chardonnay spritzer with fresh wedges and lemon and lime.


2 comments:

  1. Looks great, Maria. Next time it's hot and you want pizza you should try grilling it. You still have to make the dough, but you don't have to turn on the oven. It's our favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah, I would love to grill it. We always grill out tomato pie from the bakery. It gets crispy on the bottom and pillow-y on top!

    ReplyDelete